Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with embeded text and aliasing. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schteve

Programmer
Mar 29, 2005
US
So I have a movie with text being imported from an external file. The textbox it goes into is under a mask, and I was told I needed to therefore embed any characters I'm using in the movie. I did that and the movie works, however the text is quite unreadable due to the anti-aliasing. When I toggle the alias button for the textbox, however, the text will not show up when I run the movie. It only loads it when the textbox is not aliased. Anyway to solve this?

My flash file can be found here if you need to take a look at it:

I know it may not seem like it's important, but the specific font is. None of the ones on those sites looked too much like Verdana (I did find one that had a few discrepancies that I may resort to if necessary). Is there no other way to have aliased text under a mask?

If you're only masking the textfield, not manipulating it in any other manner (tween, fade, rotation, etc...), you can use a masking movie clip rather than a masking layer, and you then don't need to embed the font.

Look into setMask();

Regards. Affiliate Program - Web Hosting - Web Design
After 25,000 posts, banned on FK, but proud not to have bowed down to them!

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking to do!

There is one more thing I need help with in that flash however. If you go to my link and look at the file (it's now saved in Flash MX format so you can see it), you will probably recognize it as you helped me a great deal with it before (thanks again!). I adapted the scrollbar you made for another file into that one, but I am having two problems with it working.

First, the draggable thumb stops when it reaches the bottom of the scroll track when you hold down the down button (well, it stops just above it, which I think is part of the problem). If you click and drag the thumb, you can get it to go down all the way. However, once it's there, the down arrow now works again and the thumb is able to move off of the track. I think for some reason it's not synchronizing the bottom of the track and the lowest _y position the thumb can go.

The second problem is that the scrollbar isn't scrolling my movie clip with text inside. I'm pretty sure this is because my earlier actionscript loads text from the text file into a duplicate movieclip, whereas the actionscript I copied from your other flash file you made me had no duplicate movie clips. I'm no wiz with actionscript, so I don't know how to fix it so that it will scroll the duplicate movie clips with text.

Also, while you needn't show me this part, I would like to know how I can have Flash see if the movie clip with text loaded in it even needs to be scrolled. If there is little text and no scrolling is possible, I'd like to hide the scroll bar images. I'm guessing I'd just use and if statement to see if one of your variables (like the lowest it can go down) is equal to, say, the height of the scroll bar. If you could tell me if this is right or not, that'd help too.

I have the file you made if you wish to reference that too.

I really can't thank you enough for all of this.

Don't really have time to look into this these days, and not likely before the weekend.

I did download your .fla and will have a look earlier if I get a few free minutes...

Regards. Affiliate Program - Web Hosting - Web Design
After 25,000 posts, banned on FK, but proud not to have bowed down to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back