Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Email Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2004
US
Hello,

At my company, we run Novell Client on XP for users and Netware 5.1/6.5 for servers. For our GWIA we run on Netware 6.5.

The issue I have is our core business software runs on an HP-UX box that sends out many emails on a daily basis. For whatever reason, these emails when leaving the Unix box go out to the Internet and then back in through our inbound filtering service. (Postini). I am trying to figure out a way to have the Unix box send the messages directly to the MTA since all of its emails are only local. Any ideas ?

Example of domain setup
Company email address: blackhawkplastics.com
Unix box email address: mfgpro.blackhawkunix.com

You don't want it to send directly to the MTA - the MTA routes messages for groupwise, it is not an SMTP server.

You want it to send to your GWIA.

Is your unix box configured to relay outbound mail through Postini?

ok, thats what I thought but i'm not sure how to configure the unix box to send the email still inhouse.

We don't use Postini for outbound filtering at this point just inbound so the unix box sends out the emails using sendmail using the GWIA (10.1.x.x.)as its host It doesnt have a public IP.

What appears to be happening is that the Unix box coming from mfgpro.blackhawkunix.com (just an internal domain) sends to blackhawkplastics.com which then somehow gets treated as an external domain , sends out to the net and then comes back in through Postini.

I hope that makes sense.

So what I am trying to figure out is how to get the unix box to not send out to the net but directly to the GWIA which I assume should trigger it to the MTA and on to the PO

So however the Unix box is sending now, have it send to the IP Address of the GWIA instead.

That's really a Unix issue. However you need to make sure the HP box is allowed to relay off of the GWIA, otherwise mails will be rejected.

In GroupWise terms, mail can be configured to send directly out, or it can be configured to relay off of another server. You basically need to config your unix box so that it relays instead of sending directly.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

The unix box is using the IP address of the GWIA as part of its mail config (sendmail) I have tried on the GWIA to allow the unix box to relay from its internal IP to * just to see if that would make a difference. I can try and limit the relay rule to internal IP to GWIA IP, but i don't think that would make a difference.

I guess I'm not sure how to make sure that the HP UX Box can be set to relay instead of send.

We actually do have sendmail set to relay and the messages I believe hit the GWIA but then go out to the net and come back in instead of staying in house.

The only reason they'd leave the gwia and go out to the Internet is if the GWIA doesn't believe they belong to the internal system.

Thinking this through a little more, maybe the GWIA is doing an MX lookup and you have a different box (not the GWIA) that is handling all the incoming mail (your postini or whatever)..

The way to get around this is to hardcode the GWIA so it doesn't do MX Lookups for your domain.

Go into the DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA directory, create a text file called route.cfg, then add your email domain and GWIA's IP address to it. save and restart your gwia.

example text:

abc.com [10.1.3.2]

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks guys, this one can be closed. In sendmail, instead of using the domain name, we only used the IP address. Then on the GWIA I setup relay access for the Unix box. Everything is working as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back