Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with DNS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iao

Programmer
Feb 23, 2001
US
Hi everyone.

Something appears to be hosed with my DNS server. I am unable to connect new computers to the domain. All existing computers work just fine. However, when I try to add a new computer to the domain, I am prompted with a message that the domain is not available.

On the DNS server, I added a new pointer, giving a static IP and computer name. Then, on the workstation, I added the IP address and gave it that same computer name. I was then able to connect to the domain.

Unfortunately, this fix didn't last long, as the next time I rebooted, I was unable to see the domain again.

It's definitely not a client problem, as this same issue occurs on other client pc's.

Any ideas on what might have happened?

Run IPCONFIG /ALL on a client workstation and look for the primary DNS server, is it your domain controller IP or is it the IP's of your ISP?

What's in the event viewer of the client computers? You're probably going to see "userenv" errors...

Check the event logs on the server as well... Are you running 2000? 2003?

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Did anything change on the network? How about patches installed? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
"Education is the best provision for old age."
Aristotles (384 BC-322 BC); Greek philosopher.

You can first uninstall tcp/ip protocol ,then install tcp/ip protocol. try again.

I'd investigate karmics suggestion, DNS misconfig commonly causes this sort of problem.

If I run an IPCONFIG on all existing computers on our domain, the DNS server is our primary domain controller. I had just run the latest Microsoft Patches - I wasn't sure if this had anything to do with the problem or not.

It's weird because all of the other workstations on our domain connect just fine. It's just when I try to make new connections.

Plus - yesterday, I spent sometime dinking around. After a few reboots (but not really changing anything) I was finally able to connect to the domain on one of the new computers. Now, this morning, I am having the exact same problem with another computer.

ARGH!!! I feel like such an idiot. It shouldn't be this difficult.

I do not have two NIC cards enabled. And, I did run both of these utilities. Both came back successful.

I am an idiot.

Our IP address pool was out of addresses, so DHCP had no addresses to use.

I'm sorry everyone.

Here's a star. That was a text book problem everybody overlooked. Thanks for posting the solution.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
"Education is the best provision for old age."
Aristotles (384 BC-322 BC); Greek philosopher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back