Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Directives 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acsdfields

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2002
US
I've been having a problem getting some directives work correctly, and I wonder if anyone else has seen the same problem.

Basicly, I'm trying to write a directive *exclude* all BUT a few directories.

For example, my save set is d:\, and I wasn to exclude everything under d:\ except d:\mytest\thisdir

(and yes, I have a reason for doing it this way..I know it could be done other ways).

According to the manuals, I should be able to write a directive like this that should accomplish what I want to do:

<< &quot;D:\&quot; >>
+skip: * *. .* *.* . (yeah, kinda overkill)
<< &quot;D:\MYTEST\THISDIR&quot; >>
forget

But what happens is that my backup job skips everything on d:\.

I'm running networker 6.1.1 for NT on a W2K server, and the client I'm backing up is running the 6.1.1 client for NT also.

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Why not just change the savesets for that client from &quot;All&quot; to D:\mytest\thisdir, and C:\, SYSTEM STATE:\, SYSTEM DB:\, SYSTEM FILES:
This will backup the C:\ drive, the registry/os files and d:\mytest\thisdir.

As stated in the original message, I had my reasons. Basicly, I had to back up 24Gig of data over a frame-relay link (with about 55 KB/sec throughput). This takes a few days, and I had already invested the time in doing that backup.

The only way to do it is to break up the backup into separate &quot;chunks&quot;, and do full backups of each chunk once every X number of weeks, and incrementals the rest of the time..Obviously I wouldn't want to do full backups of more than one chunk at a time. Since I already had a backup of everything using &quot;f:\&quot;, and I could base incrementals on that, I didn't want to have to specify save sets as

&quot;f:\dir1&quot; which would force a full backup since it's a new save set.

Unfortunately, &quot;FORGET&quot; only works if you also explicitly list the directory you are wanting to forget any other directives as an explicit save set also. That doesn't buy me anything, and is in effect the same as what you are suggesting. The forget keyword is, in my opinion, useless as it doesn't really buy you anything that you can't do with other directives anyway.

In the end, I had to break the backup into the different save sets based on the amount of data I could safely backup in a givent window (without using forget). This is based on which week of my backup rotation I was on, and what needed a &quot;full&quot; backup that week. I ended up with 4 separate groups on separate rotation cycles with different/complementary save sets that covers all the data I needed backed up. Because they are &quot;new&quot; save sets, I'm having to activate them one at a time, as each groups &quot;week&quot; goes through our backup cycle, and I'm having to continue the incrementals of the f:\ drive to cover all the rest of the data that is not being backed up yet by it's &quot;group&quot;.

It'c complicated, and I don't like it, but it's the only thing I could come up with.

I'm kinda frustrated at Legato because nowhere is it documented that you need to list directory where you want to apply the FORGET save environment as an explicit save set also.

hi,

make a directive
<<D:\>> +skip: .
in the rootdirectory (D:\)

and in the subdirectory
<<D:\mytest\thisdir>>
ignore

bye
cyberted

Cyberted,

Tried that. All that ends up doing is skipping everything on D. Networker doesn't pay attention to the ignore save environment.

I've tried it and I've had the vendor that we bought Networker from try it also.

Thanks for the reply though.

i was wrong.
ingnore is for someting different.

i'll try in our lab.

cyberted cyberted

hi,

tried it.

If you say:

<< &quot;c:\test&quot; >>
+skip: *.exe
<< &quot;C:\TEST\SEE&quot; >>
forget

in the admin directives (not file nsr.dir - didn't tried it)

it works.

Well, would'nt help you, or?

Seams to be a bug if you skip all (+skip: .) files.

sorry and bye

cyberted cyberted

Cyberted,

Ignore is supposed to behave that way, but the documentation leaves out the fact that you also have to specify the directory you want the ignore to apply to as a save set. Legato knows about this, and there is a solution ID for it: Solution ID: legato11295. To my knowledge, this behavior is not documented anywhere, either in the manuals or as a known bug or limitation.

For example, to get ignore to work, you have to set up your save set like this:

d:d:\directory_I_dont_want_to_ignore

And you set up the directive as:
<<&quot;D:\&quot;>>
+skip: .
<<&quot;D:\directory_I_dont_want_to_ignore&quot;>>
forget

If you do it that way, then it works.

Of course, that really no different than specify the save set as (with no directive...):
d:\directory_I_dont_want_to_ignore.

To achieve what I was wanting to do, I have to have a complementary backup set up as follows:

Save Sets: D:Directive: <<&quot;d:\directory_I_dont_want_to_ignore&quot;>>
+skip: .

As I said, I was trying to avoid that because I already had a backup of D:\, and didn't want to have to specify a specific save set which would force a full backup. Because of the bandwidth limitation, I was forced to back up the data using several backup groups.

Thanks for the help and for looking into it. If you do find something that works, please let me know.

Thanks for the update. I never tried it without the +skip. I'll have to think about it and see if I can come up with a way to get it to work without the +skip.

Dave

Hello,

Please help.
I have created two server side directives for skipping MS Excange locked files during routine file system backups:

<<&quot;E:\&quot;>>
+skip: *.edb *.tmp *.log

But after finishing of backup of client used that directive I have these messages in log:
Oct 22 05:13:58 delta root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] * klon:E:\ save: E:\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\E00.log: cannot open (unknown error 32 (0x20))
Oct 22 05:13:58 delta root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] * klon:E:\ save: E:\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\E00tmp.log: cannot open (unknown error 32 (0x20))
Oct 22 05:13:58 delta root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] * klon:E:\ save: E:\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb: cannot open (unknown error 32 (0x20))
Oct 22 05:13:58 delta root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] * klon:E:\ save: E:\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.stm: cannot open (unknown error 32 (0x20))
Oct 22 05:13:58 delta root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] * klon:E:\ save: E:\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\pub1.edb: cannot open (unknown error 32 (0x20))
Oct 22 05:13:58 delta root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] * klon:E:\ save: E:\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\pub1.stm: cannot open (unknown error 32 (0x20))
Oct 22 05:13:58 delta root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] * klon:E:\ save: E:\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\tmp.edb: cannot open (unknown error 32 (0x20))
Oct 22 05:13:58 delta root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] klon: E:\ level=1, 567 MB 00:03:26 1318 files

So, it seems like my directive is ignored by NetWorker.
Does anybody have any idea?

Thank you!

error message 32 means that &quot;the File is in use by another process&quot;.

on windows machines where you get errors like these (Windows-errorcodes) you could run in dos mode: net helpmsg 32
and it shows you the errormessage: <---- no networker problem

That's very similar to what I use. I've copied what I use below, but the drive letters are a bit different.
I don't get any messages like that when I do my backups.
Do you split your backup of your exchange server into two separate backups? I have mine split up, one for the DS and IS, and one for the files. On the one for the files, don't use ALL, as I seem to think that that included the exchange IS and DS for some reason. I explicitly list the drives that I want to backup, and then tell it to use the directive below also. For example, I've also included the save sets that I back up as &quot;files&quot;

Exchang server &quot;file based&quot; save sets:
c:d:e:SYSTEM STATE:
REPAIRDISK:

skip exchange files directive for use in &quot;file based&quot; client entry:
<<&quot;C:\&quot;>>
+skip: *.dat *.DAT *.edb *.EDB *.tmp *.TMP
<<&quot;C:\EXCHSRVR&quot;>>
+skip: *.log *.LOG *.tmp *.TMP
<<&quot;D:\&quot;>>
+skip: *.edb *.EDB *.log *.LOG *.tmp *.TMP
<<&quot;E:\&quot;>>
+skip: *.edb *.EDB *.log *.LOG *.tmp *.TMP

LGTObug: I know there is a problem with Exchange locked (opened) files. That's why I have done a special directive for skipping such kind of files. But this directive doesn't work, so NetWorker tries to backup these files anyway.

acsdfields: I understand your workaround, I will try your method shortly, but I thought that my way is true too. And I needn't do anything else besides of using of just one directive with &quot;skip&quot; command.
If you true, then it's a bug in NetWorker, I believe. Because it's not mentioned in any Legato manual.

Thanks to all who tris to help!

PRRH: If I remember right, Legato suggest that backups on Exchange (and Notes among other things), be broken up into two separate backups. One for the special attributes for each server (for exchange, the IS and DS, for notes, the databases). The second backup should be for the files on the particular server, skipping any special files (tmp, edb, ect.) that might be open.

Also, check to see if you have circular logging turned off or not. I believe it's supposed to be off if you use the exchange module to backup exchange.

Also, try your directive using both cases: *.tmp and *.TMP. Legato is not quite case insensitive due to it's roots on Unix systems.

Dave

Trick: how about using the NetWorker User Gui to create the directive for you?

For example, go on a windows client that you want to create the directive for and start the gui. then:

- click Option
- click Local Directive
- mark/unmark files and directories you want to include/exclude. A marked file means it's included for backups.
- click File, then Save Directive to save the directive.

The directives will be stored in a file called c:\networkr.cfg (I think that's the name). You can then edit the file to see how NetWorker would create the directive file for what you want to include/exclude in your backups.

The drawback with this is that you cannot use wildcards in the gui to tell it to unmark a group of like file names. However, I found it interesting to see how Networker would write the directives.

With this, some of you might find that it makes sense to create local directives for certain clients, such as acsdfields wanted to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back