Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Dimensional Metrics and filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinzana

Programmer
Nov 21, 2002
US
Thanks for checking this thread.

Division is an attribute that belongs to the following hierarchy structure. Parent to Child repectively

Chain > Division > Group > Department > etc....

I have 2 metrics

-Sales = (sum(sales), dimensionality Report Level)

-Sales for Total Group = (sum(sales), dimensionality Group (ignore filtering) and (standard grouping))

In a report with a filter on Division (Division = 2) and Month (Month = 'Jan'), there are three passes of SQL, which I expect.

metrics: Sales Sales for Total Group
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MONTH | DIVISION | GROUP

Pass 1. For the Sales metric
(select month, group, sum(sales) from fact table
where division = 2 and month = 'Jan')

Pass 2. For the Sales for Total Group Metric
(select month, group, sum(sales) from fact table
where month = 'Jan')

Pass 3. Joins the two previous passes together for the result.

Notice that the Division filter condition is not included in Pass 2. I know that setting the metric dimensionality to ignore filtering is causing this but in some cases, I do not want the filter to be included, namely when the filter indicates a condition for an attribute that is a child or grandchild of Group.

In short, I want the filter to be there if it is above Group in the hierarchy and I want the filter to be ignored if it is below Group in the hierarchy.

Any ideas how I can achieve this?

Thanks,

-dinzana

I just skimmed through your question, and hopefully I am giving you the right solution here:
Go to your Condition Tab in metric, and click on Advanced.
Uncheck 'Remove related report filter elements'
This should do the trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back