Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with dial-in users and ppp 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix7

Technical User
Nov 27, 2000
US
I have been fighting with this problem for months now and I know it is something simple that I am missing. I have read all the helps ect. and have spent 100's on books and the EXACT answer is just not in print. I have a local network with win9x machines logging into my linux box via the lan with no problems with my dns, pap, ppp ect.
Now I want to let a few dial in users log in via win9x DUN. My mgetty is working fine, in fact they get the telnet type log in prompt if I have them choose the option to bring up terminal window after dialing. If they do not use the terminal window box they can not log in. I was told the problem is that my ppp is not running. I do not want the dial in user to have to type any script files or commands to start ppp.
I am running R.H. 6.2, I wanted to include a few of my config files but this little box that I am typing into will not let me do so.
If you would like me to send them to you just send me your email. Thank you for all your help.
Please help me get this working..........Chris
clwebb@localnet.com

ok my technical project @ school is to set up a ppp server, with dial-in users connecting to it to access intranet/internet :
it turned that mgetty can launch pppd by itself :
on my mandrake 7.2, I have a file like /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.conf (maybe it's login.sth_else...)
in which I have a line about AutoPPP
with this option, mgetty launch pppd when win9x DUN is "talking ppp".
you have to compile mgetty with special options for this to work (even if it worked for me with the mdk.rpm version)
I know I wasn't very clear (sorry I'm french..) if you have questions... microkwen@microkwen.com or ICQ:1780629

Skanx is right -- mgetty with the AutoPPP option in the login.conf works for me. You also have to add a line to /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:
* * "" *
This makes users' passwords serve as secrets. I can log in with Linux and mount NFS shares with no problem. My Win98/NT clients also establish ppp connections easily. My problem is that I can't figure out how to get them to do NetBios over that ppp connection -- the ppp server never appears in Network Neighborhood and can't be found using "Find computer". Is there something to adjust in the Windows ppp settings?

Charles Nardino
cnardino@bellatlantic.net

Just an update:

I have found that most problems that I have had are always something simple that was just overlooked. My biggest problem with the dial-in was a missing options.ttyS0 file with 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.3 or what ever you would use, in it.
My next hurtle is to be able to see the other Win9x machines logged on the server in my network neighborhood, or even the server itself would be a gain. In my DUN I have "log onto network " checked. My authentication when I dial in takes a couple secs., but the log onto network can take up to 60 secs. WEIRD.
I can ping the server (when I get dialed in) but can not ping any other user that is logged into the server.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Chris
clwebb@localnet.com

Do you have Samba running? If you do then configure it to act as a WINS server. In your Win9x DUN enter the ip address of your Linux box as the WINS server. That should enable you to "see" the other computers on the network. Configuring the Samba server as an NT domain controller will also speed up the Network logon slow connection that your experiencing. Use the following link to get more info on SAMBA.

Hope this helps.

Techhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back