Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with DELL Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

C3rv32a2

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2011
MX
Hello all

I'm having problems with a DELL laptop, I cannot enable wireless. I enter network adapters and wired network card does not appear, wireless network adapter seems disable. I try to enable wireless adapter but option to enable does not show. I try to enable using Fn key but it enables or disables airplane mode.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Go tot eh Dell website and update your wireless drivers.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Thanks for the update

Reinstalled drivers problem continues.

So what is the backstory for this laptop? Did it all of a sudden stop working? Is this a reinstall or a fresh copy of Windows? What OS is installed? W7, W10, etc???? What is the model of the Dell laptop? Where did you get the drivers from?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Is the wireless adaptor actually switched on?

There is an external slide switch that physically turns power off and on to the card socket and the switch is generally on the left or right side just where you would place your hands to pick the machine up, so it is easily switched on/off accidentally.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

This laptop was working with no issues, it just suddenly stopped working.

This laptop is running Windows 8.

I downloaded the drivers directly from DELL using the TAG number.

I have checked and there is no switch or button to turn on or off WIFI. I try turning on WIFI using Fn key and WIFI key, but what it does is turn on Airplane Mode.

Give us the laptop model number just so we can check wifi "switch" angle - can be virtual or physical. If you're sure there is no Function key to turn the wifi OFF, have you looked at device manager to see if the device is present, not disabled and there is no error message regarding it's function.

Is there a place in the BIOS where it could be disabled? Otherwise, it may just be toast!

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I have checked device manager and it does not show any problems or conflicts with network device.

I also checked Bios and selected default settings and the problem remains.

Model Inspiron 15R 5537

I think this is a hardware problem, like you say it got toasted.

Uninstalling the device, rebooting and letting it reinstall has no effect?

Well, don't suppose you have a card in another laptop that would fit to test the "toast" theory? DrB0b has sort of a last suggestion before suspecting hardware.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I have checked device manager and it does not show any problems or conflicts with network device.

Then it is one of: switched off, dead or disconnected.

Have you lifted it out of its slot and reseated it? (access panel on underside of machine)

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Thanks to all for the support, results the hardware was toasted, installed a USB wireless device and problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back