Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with defining save set definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexi

MIS
Nov 9, 2001
CA
Hi, I'm just learning legato and find the manual doesn't exactly explain things clearly.

What I want to do :

Create several save sets to speed up the backup of a particularily large NT server.

Under SAVE SET I've broken up the save set into c/d/e/g drives. The G is the real biggie, I want to further break it up .

Lets say the structure is

g:/top/a
g:/top/b
g:/top/c

Dirs a, b and c are massive so I want to keep them seperate.

I have created seperate save sets for dirs a/b/c, but just in case someone creates any more dirs above a/b/c I want to back up the rest of g:

I've also created a save set "g:" but when the backup runs the g save set will back up the entire g drive which defeats the point of having the a/b/c save sets. How do I tell Legato that for the "g" save set I want it to ignore the dirs a/b/c below it ?

I was told to use a .nsr file, name it nsr and place it in the dir above where all the other files reside. In this case its g:/top . However this doesn't help any.

Any help would be appreciated.

I do this with a large Novell file system. Create a second client with the save set of g: only. Include a directive on that client that skips the directories already being backed up. The directive will look like:

<<g:\top\a>>
+skip: .

<<g:\top\b>>

<<g:\top\c>>

That's what I have been doing for a few months now and it works just fine. Backing up multiple clients in the same group is fine because it's the group backup that opens the index. If you put the second client in a different group and back it up at the same time, you will get index corruption.

Hope this helps.

I forgot, you need to put quotes around the path in the directive. i.e.,

<<&quot;g:\top\a&quot;>>

<<&quot;g:\top\b&quot;>>

<<&quot;g:\top\c&quot;>>

Sorry, it's been a couple months since I created one. ;-)

Thanks rgzimmer ! Makes for a great Monday start. Now would I put these entries in the save sets box along with &quot;g:/&quot; or would I create a file ?

You would create a directive and attach that directive to the client containing the full g:\ drive.

The directive can be titled anything you want. The contents will be what I put in my second post.

I also have to stress that both clients must be in the same group for this to work without index corruption.

Success !! , thanks rgzimmer. Still took forever but WAY less time than using &quot;all&quot; and no failures . Now all I need is a helper monkey to change the tapes for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back