Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with dates in select statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr84net2

Programmer
Feb 8, 2005
US
I am used to working in access and have a project where I am using sql server. I am trying to find dates in a field between two other dates. Here is one of many variations I have tryed.

tourndis= Now()
tournreg= Now() + 6

sqlstr="Select tournname, tourndat from tournaments WHERE tourndat BETWEEN " & tourndis & " AND " & tournreg

When I response.write the sqlstr things look ok. Other variations have caused errors and some have appeared to have done nothing.

tourndat is a smalldatetime field with a date like 8/16/2008

Any help would be greatly appreciated, my mind is numb at this point.

Delimiter for dates is ' (single quote mark/apostrophe) for MSSQL. You don't appear to be using any delimiter at present.

Steam Engine Prints

You can't just add 6 to NOW(). In both VBScript and T-SQL you have to use DATEADD functions. Google a bit. Look for T-SQL functions DATEADD, DATEPART, GETDATE() You can construct the date stuff using T-SQL instead of VBScript.

i think the delimiter for ms-sql is #, like: #08/15/2008#

this syntax:
tourndis= Now()
tournreg= Now() + 6
works in vbscript. i tested it. the result is:
8/21/2008 9:12:50 AM

i think the delimiter for ms-sql is #, like: #08/15/2008#

No.

The date delimiter for Microsoft Access is #
The date delimiter for Microsoft SQL Server is '

(just like johnwm said in the first response to this question.)

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back