Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with compiling program

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeCt

Programmer
Nov 6, 2001
US
Hi
I've finished my program which uses Access for it's database, I ran it before compiling it an EXE file and all worked perfect. I compiled it into an exe file and now when I try to retrive data from the access database I get the generic Microsoft error " (Name of Program) has encountered
a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the incovenience.
I get the options to Debug, Send error Report, Don't send

When I look it the folder cotaining my program ( The same folder I saved the exe file in ) I find a file named "Microsoft Office Access Record Locking Information"
Which I have no idea how to view. I tried notepad but it's
compiled.

Thanks
Mike

That file is one that contains record locking information that is used to manage access to the database. It has an .ldb extension and is for internal use by the database. It doesn't really contain anything that would be useful to you.

Normally the .ldb file is deleted when the database is closed (i.e. the program ends) but, since your application aborted, the file wasn't deleted. You can just delete it manually but that won't fix your programming problem that's causing the abort.

You can try using the Debug option when the abort happens. That will display some rather nasty looking assembler code but you can often at least get some clue about where your program was offending the operating system.

Thanks for the info about the access file. I tried looking at the assembly code but It's way over my head. Plus there thousands of lines of code and I would not even know where to start looking. My program is getting the same error in all the forms I've written so I do believe it's got something to do with Access security. The program is not running on a network or connected to a network and I can't find where any security has been inforced in access.

Thanks again for your time
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back