Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with CMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

anh

Technical User
Sep 3, 2000
CA
Hi. I tried to boot a old PC (Pentium 1) but I get a error message saying that:
CMOS check sum error. Default loaded
CMOS Battery faild.
and the POST stop, I couldn't go any further. Need to turn it off.

Changed a new battery of the motherboard and no luck.
Checked all cable - no luck
I don't know what's wrong.
I need some advice how to fix this. Thanks in advance.

Anh

Sorry to be obvious, are you sure the new battery is
1. The right battery
2. The right way 'round
3. A 'good' battery

If answers to all three are yes, then try resetting the cmos via a junper on the motherboard. Manual should show you where.

Follow paulwood's suggestions about the battery and resetting the CMOS. Then enter BIOS setup and reset your hard drive parameters. If you have auto-detect you can use that. Otherwise, you will have to enter the parameters (Cylinders Heads Sectors) manually. They are usually on the hard drives label.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

i remember posting here, but for some reason it didn't show up.. ok.. let me tell you, i've had this problem.

for starters.. CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR is actually, your ram being set up wrongly.. wow, that's bad wording.. anyway, make sure first off, that both your ram chips are the same size.. don't put 1 256 and 1 128.. now, when you're comp is booting up, go into your BIOS, usually delete at the startup.. and check out the memory controls.. once you have it set right, it'll stop doing that.. mine was set at 64, but i had to change to 128.. then i was a-ok.

secondly. some user posted to pull out the jumper, and reset it that way.. this is a definate good move.. i had to do this like 10 times before i got it working right.. the battery, i would use that other users advice about the right, good size, good quality battery..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back