Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with cluster Ms and switch Cisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

robyone64

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2003
IT
Hi, i've a problem with a Ms cluster (Broadcom network card).
When the resource are switched between nodes, my switch does not update his arp table of the ip address resource of the cluster, so the resources become unreacheable

The cluster should be using a single virtual IP that the whole cluster answers to. Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding your problem.

You need to add an entry on the switch to keep the virtual MAC address from ever being associated with a specific port.

Here is what the new line in the config will look like:

"arp [ip address of cluster] [virtual mac address] ARPA"

To determine the virtual MAC, you should probably ping the cluster using its cluster IP from another host on the same subnet and then check your ARP cache.

The other solution to this problem is to put your whole cluster on a single hub, and plug that hub into the switch so that the switch port never changes. That's what I've had to do to solve some NLB problems.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back