Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Calculating Values which are based on Previous Values

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicaGringo

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
I am trying to design a very basic accounting system. The user will enter in the amount of deposit or withdrawl and the date. Then when you want to see the account ledger, you print out a report based on this table. The problem that I'm having is trying to calculate the Balance after each transaction. The balance has to be initialized as zero, but then ever calculation after that will be based on the previous balance value plus whatever the current transaction is (deposit or withdrawl), Balance=previousBalance+Deposit-Withdrawl. The report should look like the following:

Date Deposit Withdrawl Balance
7/24/02 $100.00 $0.00 $100.00
7/24/02 $0.00 $10.00 $90.00
7/25/02 $50.00 $0.00 $140.00

Ok, I am not a VB programmer, so if it is possible to do this within the normal Access functions it would make my life a lot easier. Thanks

In the report design view, when you right click on the control you created to calculate the balance, go to Properties, Click on the Data tab, and where it states, RUNNING SUM, click over all if it is for one client, over group if have several sets of data grouped by client. I am not sure how you are sorting your accounts on the report but perhaps this will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back