Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with BROWSE function 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryISO

Programmer
Sep 29, 2002
GB
I have a strange problem on one PC in my network. If I go to START / RUN and then click on BROWSE, the task bar disappears and then comes back after a few moments. If I type the program name into the OPEN dialog box, that works OK.

Now, I believe that this is Windows Explorer resetting itself, but I cannot figure why this happens.

If I use FILE / OPEN from most programs, it works OK. In a few cases (non MS programs), the program either just never gets to the file open dialog, or else just crashes. I presume that they use the same call as the BROWSE button.

The PC has all of the latest MS updates applied (I do this regularly).

I started by checking for disk or RAM errors - none found.

I have run SFC - no effect.

Then I tried repairing the XP installation (ran a complete repair from the CD, followed by dozens up MS updates) - no effect.

I don't know when this started. Most programs work OK. The few which are affected aren't used much and I rarely use the RUN/BROWSE function - except now, when I need it.

Any ideas?

I have no idea why it should act this way.
The browse in a Start, Run should try to open your profile. Perhaps there is a profile issue. If you create a new user, logon as that user, does this issue still happen?

Many thanks Bcastner!

It was a profile issue. I deleted the profile off the the PDC and created a new one, and all is now working fine.

It also fixed a couple of other minor niggles (print function caused the PC to reboot on some occasions, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back