Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with ADSL router

Status
Not open for further replies.

YaHster

Technical User
Aug 22, 2004
IT
Shortly: I have Windows XP Pro SP1, a broadband connection via an Ethernet modem and I'm experiencing problems with online gaming. My machine has to be the server, but other people can't connect to me. When I try to view what is my IP address, the program tells me it is something in the range 169.254.*.*, which is PRIVATE. This is the reason. In fact Windows does -NOT- recognize the modem as itself: it recognizes it as an Ethernet connection.

By posting in other forums I have been told I have to forward certain ports from my router's (my "modem"'s) IP address to my computer's IP address. My modem+router is an Alcatel SpeedTouch Home. I have looked at the user's manual and discovered the default IP is 10.0.0.138, but it is not pingable. I can see my LAN's (Ethernet connection's) IP is 169.254.60.142, which is fixed and physically assigned. And the problem is: I can't connect to it. Either via telnet and via my internet browser I get an error. With Telnet (I use putty, not microsoft telnet) I get a "connection refused" error, and via internet explorer a generic connection error.

On << I have seen the problem may be because my PC has an incorrect assigned IP. In fact, it should be something like 192.168.*.1 and NOT 169.254.*.*. I can reset it to factory's defaults, but by doing this I won't probably be able to connect to my ISP anymore. In fact the settings I have now are different from factory's ones (DHCP is on, for example), and I do not know which are my ISP's settings for the router. Ipconfig/renew times out. How to make it change ? Please help.

This ip for the router, 10.0.0.138, this is an odd one. Usually its 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.1.1, or 10.0.0.1. First, double check this is correct. Now, assuming this is the correct internal lan ip, the ip address of your computer should be in the same range, so say 10.0.0.50 (or, if dhcp is enabled on this device, you could use that too). Your gateway will then be the router, 10.0.0.138, and the dns servers should be that of your isp.

You should now be able to ping the device.

You would then login to the router as advised, and port forward what you need to 10.0.0.50.

You can also contact your isp for support, just tell them you need to login to the device to make changes, and you can't. They can walk you through it.

This is a test to see if my name gets stamped on this post, please ignore.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back