Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with ADO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NW

Programmer
Feb 3, 2000
GB
Hi.
I have an VB application that updates Visual FoxPro table located on the network drive using ADO connection to this free table. (see below coding that used in the program)
I have so many issues with the application and one time it managed to create 1.2million temp files on this network drive and I had to stop all users at least 4hrs of production for me to clear these temp files. (All these files are 0 bytes)
Have any one came across such problem with ADO? Also I found that some users cannot write temp files to their c:\temp files - My program report these with an error Cannot open c:\temp\c500jfj.tmp

Is there any way to stop creating these temp files? I cannot understand why it need 1.2 million of them? Is there a way to pause the directory of these files to a user specified directory (i.e c:\temp or c:\tmp or c:\winnt\temp)?

I have tried to rectify above problems many time without any success up to now. Now I'm thinking of re-writing the application using DAO. But I gather that I cannot update/create dyanset recordsets from Visual Foxpro 6 tables? (Does anyone know how to overcome this?)

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Yes you can update/"delete"/insert records from VFP with DAO. Look into DAO-ODBC-Direct, and use the MS VFP/DBF ODBC Driver.

The reason that I quoted "delete" is with VFP you really don't delete the record unless you "Compact" the table (its been so long I don't remember the command!).

I hope this helps, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back