Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with AD Sites and Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2006
US
I have an issue with my Active Directory Sites and Services. I think I may have received some bad advice from the vedor that assisted my in setting up active directory.

We have a site for each of my remote locations. Each location is configured with a subnet.

The Default-First-Site-Name was setup with one of the DCs at our headquarters. No subnet is configured for this site.

We also have a site configured for this location. It has a subnet configured. The other DC is in this site.

Should I have renamed the Default-First-Site-Name to this location? Should I have just left it with the default name and configured the subnet for that.

Can I delete the D-F-S-N or should I delete the site name of my location and move the server to D-F-S-N and change the subnet to point to D-F-S-N?

Any help would be appreciated.

I think the recommended approach is to rename it as required and add the appropriate subnets. We actually have an empty D-F-S-N at my company and configured all the sites as needed (due to not being sure either at the time).
You definetly want to have subnets defined for any sites with DCs in them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back