Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with activeX-components

Status
Not open for further replies.

anchelito

Technical User
Dec 6, 2004
DE
well, as you can see: i have a problem with activeX-components in visual c++ 6 sp6. i'm a newby, so i think there will be an easy solution: the problem is, that the programs i create and which contain activeX-components as microsofts flexgridcontrol don't work on the pc's where microsoft visual c++ isn't installed and in this way some activeX-controls aren't installed. the programs just aren't executed. can you tell me how to install those components? and what's with all the other programs you can download in the internet using activeX-components, do they bring the files they need in their package?

thank you for your help,
anchelito

To install the components, you first need to figure out what DLL the components reside in. Then you can run the command "regsvr32 <name.dll>" where "name.dll" is the name of the DLL that has the component.

To find out what DLL a component resides in is a little tricky. If you know the CLSID of the component, look for it on a computer where it does work, under its registry key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID, where the path to the DLL will probably be in a subkey that looks something like "InprocServer32". Another way to find it is using the "oleview" program that comes with Visual Studio.

To answer your second question, yes, Active-X programs installed through a web browser come with self-installing components in their packages, that basically do the equivalent of the "regsvr32" command but they do it automatically once you accept them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back