Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with a laptop battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpk0104

Technical User
Oct 25, 2008
US
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop running Windows XP SP3. Computer works with AC power fine. Computer will not power up on battery. When booted from ac power, unplug power and the computer stays on, but the battery light is orange.

In the settings, it is not showing a battery. the computer does not recognize the battery.

This just happened. It was reading the battery fine.
The battery is fully charged.

Can anyone help?

Possibly a battery reset:
1) Completely power down the laptop and remove the cord from the computer.

2) Flip the laptop over.

3) Push on the battery release button or buttons to release the battery form the computer. Remove the battery.

4) Power on the computer without the battery. Once the computer is fully booted, completely power it back down and remove the cord again.

5) Slide the laptop battery back into place, plug in the power adapter and re-boot the computer.

The computer should now be correctly detecting the laptop battery.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks.. I will give it a try and get back to you

edfair,

Unfortunatly that did not work. the computer still does not recognize the battery.

The POST the BIOS runs at startup is likely detecting some kind of battery failure, although as you said it can technically still power the laptop after bootup. How long does the system run when you pull power and run only on battery? If it's less than an hour, that battery is probably on its way out.

I don't know about Dell, but HP has a "Battery Check" application you can download and install. It will run a full diagnostic and tell you the age of the battery and the amount of charge capacity left. It will also give it a basic pass/fail test as it looks for critical errors. It would be worth looking on Dell's site for a similar app.

Also, if you've never changed the battery, keep in mind that they rarely last more than 5-6 years. That laptop came out in 2006. You can find cheap aftermarket replacements on Amazon for under $40. I've had a lot of success with Anker, which is has received a lot of rave reviews for its products.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Laptop is probably not worth buying a new battery for - old hardware + Win XP!!! You could buy something better on C.L.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back