Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with 400EC module installed in Partner R4.1 - dead silence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

msweeden

Vendor
Nov 2, 2004
US
Hey, guys:
I ordered a 400EC module to expand an existing Partner II R4.1 installation. When the item arrived I installed the module in the 5th slot and turned on the 5-card carrier at which point the unit made an awful noise and was removed from the system. I received a replacement 400EC R3.1 module which installed without incident, but the CO lines attached to that module only offer dead silence (when I call the lines on those ports, the lines ring on the system, but when I answer I hear only silence in both directions, and when I pick up one of those lines to make a call I hear nothing. I do know that the lines are fine as they work on other modules in the system. I spoke with a tech who informed me there should be no configuration issues relevant to the problem, and that if placing the module in a different slot did not solve the problem then the module was likely defective. I removed a Partner Mail VS module from the 4th slot where it works fine and installed the 400EC module in that slot with the same results, so I requested a 3rd replacement module. I received a replacement for that module Friday and installed it over the weekend with the same results. This leads me to believe that the second module likely was not bad either, and that either the modules are not compatible with my configuration or I am missing something. I have programmed the system to tell it there are 6 phone lines. The current system configuration is:
SLOT 1: 206 R4.1
SLOT 2: 206EC R4.1
SLOT 3: Partner II R4.1
SLOT 4: Mail VS R4.1
SLOT 5: 400EC R3.1 (the new module)

As stated before, I did remove the Mail VS module and install the 400EC module with the same results (incoming calls ring the lines but no audio in either direction. Outgoing calls cannot be placed). I also removed the 206EC module from slot 2 and installed the 400EC module in that slot – all 4 lines connected to it exhibited the same problem – dead silence when picking up to make a call and no sound in either direction upon answering any of the 4 lines on the 400EC when they ring in. I've been on site 4 times now to finish this job, and if anybody could shed some light on what my problem might be so that I can put this job to bed then I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thank you very much,
Michael Sweeden

Only a thought.......
You did tell the system you added new lines...
either with #104 number of lines, or #301, Line assignment?
Sometimes it's the little things that get us.

Yes, I did program the system for the new lines (a total of 6). Thanks for the suggestion.

Switch the 400ec and the VM card and reassign the correct extention to calling group 7

Thanks, ttech, but I do not know what you mean by "reassign the correct extension to calling group 7" - could you please explain that? Thanks!

did you upgrade to new 5 slot? Had same problem, maybe a release issue with new 400 ec mod

Do you mean a new 5-slot carrier? No, it's the same old carrier. I asked my supplier if that could be a problem and received no reply. Thank you for your input. Did replacing the 5-slot carrier with a new one solve the problem for you?

There's no difference in the new vs. old 5 slot carriers, except the spacing of the modules to allow more ventilation. You have done all the proper troubleshooting steps, removing everything except the first 206 and adding the 400 in slot 2, making sure the CO lines are OK, and still getting no audio on the 400's lines points to the 400 being bad. I know that you have gone through 3 of them already, but your supplier may be having problems. Get another (!) 400 module, and if possible test it in another system before taking it out on site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back