Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with 4.3.3 nfs client

Status
Not open for further replies.

wab62

MIS
Mar 28, 2002
US
Hello,
Have an odd nfs problem. The client has no problem with mounting. The problem occurs when you access the remote fs. When you run commands like ls or find, the process hangs after partial output. Also, cannot umount the remote filesystem. Each attempt results in "error while unmounting. the requested resource is busy", even though fuser reports no processes with files open.

Have tried different mount options with the same result. There are other client systems that have no problem with the shares on the same nfs server, so it would appear to be a problem on this particular client side.

Both client(s) and server are 4.3.3, fstype is nfs3. Any ideas?

Try:

1. entstat -drt ent0 |grep –i error
=display any communication errors on etn0

2.netstat -c
=check NFS client errors

3.errpt
=grep for any ent or IP oriented errors

I suspect some network problem with your client machine.

Long live king Moshiach !

checked 1,2 and 3, no communications errors, no NFS client errors, no IP oriented errors. this client has the same problem with any NFS server.

the client was originally running AIX 4.2.1. this problem arose after upgrading to 4.3.3.

Try mounting the share on your server..

example on server:
mkdir /mnt/temp
showmount -e 127.0.0.1
mount server:/share (you got from showmount)

mounting the share on the server itself works fine. the share is mountable and usable on other clients also. just this one particular client that has this problem. mounting does not produce errors. accessing the share does not produce errors, but hangs when you access the files or directories on it.

check siftware levels you might have a down level code on the one machine

i looked for that. the filesets that i would suspect (possibly mistakenly) such as bos.net.nfs.client, bos.net.tcp.client, etc, are at the same rev as that of my working nfs clients.

oslevel == 4.3.3.0
oslevel -r == 4330-09

whats particularly irksome is the lack of any indication via log or error message of the actual failure.

I would use lslpp to find the exact versions of the filesets.

actually i did use lslpp to see the specific fileset levels. it appears as far as oslevel is concerned nothing is down level 4.3.3 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back