Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem w/USB ports...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayaboy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
US
Need assistance in installing an HP Laserjet 1000 printer locally (currently have it set up to share, etc. on daughter's cpu)...we've been having issues with this for awhile now. The USB ports on our Dell Dimension 3000 (P4 2.8ghz/512mb RAM, running XP) do not work. Tried dis-abling in Device Mgr., rebooted cpu, but still nothing....tried installing in Safe Mode--nothing...tried everything that was suggested on this site, to no avail. Plug n' Play not working... Yesterday, I got a USB 2.0 PCI add-on card and installed it, thinking it would do the trick. It recognizes/works for EVERYTHING except the printer!!! what gives?? it's not just the HP, we have a Brother copy/fax/scanner that we use for scanning docs., and it is not recognized/nor can be installed either...just when it looks like install is done, we get "the specified port is unknown" error...also, when using the Install Wizard and am prompted to select the port, there are no USB ports available--only COM & Serial...??? any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Let's forget about the brother for now ...
Is the HP connected to anything now? You mention it's being "shared" how do you mean? I'm asking because if this printer is being shared, the rest of your statement doesn't make sense. Paint the picture a little better for me and I'll try to help.

-Chris

We have a 3 PC wireless network @ home (print/file sharing ON)...HP printer will not install locally on the office PC (USB ports are not detecting anything on office PC), so we had to install printer locally to daughter's PC and all 3 PC's are able to print from there without a problem. All 3 PC's are able to share files, etc.--but I cannot install the printer directly to the office PC.
I installed a USB 2.0 card in extra PCI slot yesterday---this works fine but still does not detect the printers--same error!!!
It's just when trying to install locally to the OFFICE cpu is when the error occurs. When installing the drivers it looks like all is running smoothly, but when prompted to connect USB to cpu it doesn't recognize and cpu will just sit & wait...If I try and take the Plug n' Play route, it'll download the drivers but just when it looks like the install is complete, I'll get "the specified port is unknown" error. If I try and install printer through Add Printer wizard, the USB port in which I need to install to is not listed....any ideas???

Sounds like USB is disabled. Can you go into the BIOS and confirm? (or deny).
Sounds like the rogue PC might also have a firewall turned on, I'd also be wiling to bet that PC is loaded with a bunch of 3rd party stuff.

-Chris

USB is enabled in BIOS...do you think the firewall has something to do with it?? Windows firewall is on, as with all PCs here at home. As far as 3rd party stuff goes, do you mean Adware/spyware, etc.? If so, I've run Adaware & Spybot multiple times (as well as Norton Anti-virus) and have found nothing...don't understand why I can't install using new PCI card. HELP!!!

Check to make sure spooler service is running.
Start
Run
Cmd
click OK
In the command prompt type

net start spooler

hit enter on the keyboard
Do you get an error message?

If so what is the error?
If not plug in the printer again and turn it on and see if windows finds it now.

Are there any errors appearing in the Event Viewer? Is there any strange/duplicate printers listed in Control Panel/ Printers

Among other things this first thread mentions a solution involving this registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\USB Monitor

Resources for troubleshooting printing problems in Windows XP

ran 'net start spooler'--no error message..."the requested service has already been started".

FIXED IT!! thanx Linney for the link(to another link):) & thanx to everyone else for their time/input...here's what I found:
...the clean spooler utility I used to fix the spooler problem (part of Windows Resource Kit) removed the USB Monitor registry key. To fix:
Run regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Print/Monitors. Look for a USB Monitor entry. Before doing anything else, backup the registry entry by right clicking on "Monitors" and selecting "Export". Give it a name and locaction so that you can put it back if you have problems later. If "USB Monitor" is not there, add it by right-clicking on Monitors, New, Key. Name the new key "USB Monitor". Once added, right click on the new key and select New, String Value. Name the new value "Driver". In the right portion of regedit, right click on the new "Driver" value and select "Modify". Make the value data "usbmon.dll". If there is an "HPUMON" entry (or the like), delete it. Disconnect the USB cable to the printer. Run the "scrubber" or clean utility, reboot the machine. Reconnect the printer and install the driver software per manufacturer instuction. This fixed my problem. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back