Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem using Network Boot disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyWilson

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2004
CA
Hello all,

I am using Bart's network boot disk and am experiencing a very strange problem - I have been using this software for nearly four years and have never had a problem I can not resolve.

Connecting to a Windows 2000 server share through dos/network. Server WAS configured as a DC but has since been demoted.

We have a server that's hostname is under 8 characters. This server was recently a domain controller but has been demoted to a member server, this server also happens to house the data store where I would like to store our desktop images that we ghost to a network share through dos.

Anyways when accessing a newly share on this system with full admin rights I get an error 5: access denied message. Even if I try to connect with the local administrator account through dos/network boot disk i get the same message. I configured a share on another member server with the share and security permissions identical and it works fine (as it always has in any past environments).

Im guessing its a security issue on the Windows 2000 server that WAS a DC but has since been demoted.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem? I thought maybe it was a local logon right uder local policies but the local administrator account and everyone group along with domain users and all is configured to allow logon rights.

Your help is appreciated.

gpedit.msc, check out the local security policy to see if any leftover settings are there that might block this type of connection.

"I'm certifiable, not certified. It just means my answers are from experience...not a book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back