Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem using Hyperterm or other emulation as a console

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvales

Technical User
Mar 25, 2002
US

I inherited a G-class server it has a ps2 like serial connector for the console. Ps2 like cause it bigger than a typical ps2 and smaller than the old style pc keyboards. I was able to find the pinouts, rig up a cable and configure hyperterm (8N1,Xon/Xoff)to display the boot output to the screen. So everything looked great until I tried to log in at the console prompt. Nothing I typed seemed to get through to the machine. I don't know the IP so I can't telnet, rlogin or remsh. I also ran a serial monitor and didn't see the user name being sent. I also tried qcterm (sp) it's a freeware hp terminal eumation program. The results were the same except. The serial monitor did see data sent to the machine (or at least to the port local to the pc)

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

or maybe try hardware flow control if your "PS/2-like" connector has more than three pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back