Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem updating DVD-ROM firmware: How to switch from DMA to PIO mode? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

malveille

Technical User
Nov 2, 2003
US
Hey

Recently I tried to update my firmware for my Samsung DVD-Rom drive (Model SD-612B, purchased in Q2,2000). The samsung webpage has software designed to automatically update firmware, called "SFDWIN.EXE" Straightforward instructions, it easily figured out what drive i had, and used an included .bin file to figure out what the new version of my firmware is (E000). (see image below) When i got to the point of actually updating it, an error message popped up, however.

"DMA mode is not supported by this drive. Exit the application , switch the transfer mode to PIO mode, and attempt to flash the drive." (see image below)

I'm not completely positive what this means, i know the terms DMA and PIO, and i guess my drive doesn't support DMA. Any ideas how i can still update? Is there an way to change to PIO mode, or is the problem in SFDNWIN.EXE application? Any insights would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks for any help!

dvdromerror.jpg

open the device manager then find the cd drive and select properties/settings. turn DMA off.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

How to do it depends on the version of Windows. Go into Device Manager. If it's Windows XP, you want to first expand the IDE Controller category, and then double-click either the primary or secondary controller depending on which one has the DVD-ROM drive. On one of the tabs you'll see some choices like "DMA if available" or "PIO Mode Only".

For all other versions of Windows, just double-click on the DVD-ROM drive itself in Device Manager. Then all you have to do is uncheck the DMA option if it's enabled.

Don't forget to reboot...

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back