Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem #SYNTAX in using excel as dataproviders - BO6.5 SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MicheleGuchez

IS-IT--Management
Jul 4, 2007
BE
Hello every body,

I've built a BO report based on many excel files (personal files). I used the range option to select a subset of data different for each excel file.
I've created variables for each dataproviders.

After building my report, I tested it by refreshing it. For a few of the variables, I've got a warning such as "some of objects are different would you like to keep or display data in an other report..." and an error message: "#SYNTAX" appears for a few variables.

I've check the dataproviders. Everything is ok but It seems that it doesn't taking account the specified range of cells. I had to open the excel files to get the data as specified in the dataprovider.

Do you have any idea on the source of the problem ? How can I fixe it ?

Thanks a lot, Michèle

Using Excel as dataprovider means that BO tries to guess the nature and format of the data in a specific Excel-column.
Did you check whether this has been correctly set for all files and columns?
Do you have headers in the Excel-sheets (detection is done by reading the first row in every sheet for each column)

Ties Blom

Hi Ties,

thanks a lot for the info.It's very helpfull to understand how BO works. As a consequence, I'm afraid that my problem will not be easily solved.

In fact, due to a poor analysis of the project, I have to build a summary report based on 100 BusinessObjects reports. Each report makes his checks, etc ... and returns global statistics. Now the end-user wants to have a summary of all statistics.

I didn't want to create a .rep with 100 dataproviders (which is creasy). As the end-user wanted to refresh all reports via BCA and save them in excel, I tried to use all of the excel and get the global result to put in one report. Unfortunately, all of the excel are not formatted. I used the range definition obtion but for some of the excel, BO didn't use the range(??). Now I'm facing to another problem: change the file location which gives a lot of problems.

I think that the business need can be meet only with programmation.

Regards, Michèle

BO offers Excel as additional input, specifically for those cases where you need to use some Excel data in combination with 'real' dataproviders.
What you are facing is frankly a bit ludicrous. You need to consolidate the Excel data to a single RDBMS and create a universe on that.

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back