Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem starting Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
I am having trouble opening Chrome browser, it keeps on showing this message.

Error 137 (net::ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED): Unknown error.

I can use other browsers such as IE and FF, but this is not working. I have not made any changes that could have affected it.

I have ran antivirus and antispywares but it didn't help.

Helps are appreciated.

I have tried those threads but it didn't solve my problem

What anti-virus or security programs is installed?
Have you checked it to see if it has a program listing and if so if chrome is allowed internet access?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome?

Jim

I use Avast antivirus it doens't detect any harmful at all, I run it once in a while to see if the new definitions help.
I have also removed and uninstalled Chrome several times but it desn't help.

If one goes down, why not open another?

There are at least 3 current versions of Chrome (Browser) for Windows currently being released that can be installed side by side on the same machine:

The official, fully google stable version that sends stuff back to google (multicolored icon)

The Canary Build version ( development version, nightly build (yellow icon)

and the Chromium Browser, a vanilla version that has nothing google about it apart from the search (blue icon)

Since it is open source, there are other development forks by other groups too. Softpedia keeps a large list of browser downloads:

flyboytim,

I have tried installing the other version you mentioned but still get the same error code. I searched the Google and it seems that there are others who have the same problem as I have with Chrome, but no solutions to it.

Have you tried shutting off Avast?
Have you added an exception in the firewall?
Although a search brings up many people with the same isse (net::ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED)
The error would suggest a DNS error and to have it only affect Chrome would suggest some kind of proxy setting or software program blocking it.

tlcscousin,
I have added Chrome as an exception to the firewall so there should be free to connect to internet, and have also removed Avast and currently using Microsoft Security Essentials, but the problem still remains.

Do you have download accelerator plus installed?
Have you tried msconfig and shut off any startup programs and rebooted to see if chrome works?

I have no download accelerator plus, and I have tried to remove and disable to startup programs that are not necessary.

Things to try -

from the network connection properties for TCP/IP add these DNS server addresses:

Both are Google public DNS servers - it does no harm to have additional DNS servers selected.

Can you connect to either google.com or google.com's IP address 209.85.229.104 with FF or IE?

From the command prompt (best to use an elevated cmd as administrator if using Vista or Win7)

ping google.com

ping 209.85.229.104

the results should be the same if all is OK with the DNS resolution

also run

ipconfig /flushdns

from the command prompt, which flushes the DNS cache, unsurprisingly, getting rid of possibly corrupted DNS data.

If there are still anomalous results, check that %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts has not been rewritten to misdirect google.com etc., to some other IP address.

If it has a lot of entries (more than the entry below), rename the file, and create a new file in notepad simply called hosts to replace the file you have renamed.

Copy the following into the file (only the last line is necessary) and save in the above folder:

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1998 Microsoft Corp.

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

# For example:

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

This is from a google search on chrome+DNS which is worth a try.

click on the wrench at the top right corner, select options, uncheck "use DNS pre-fetching to improve page loading

flyboytim,

I have followed the steps you mentioned, but it didn't help, I can however use IE and FF.
When I look at this %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts , it shows a list of some programs I have on my laptop, and its not a file to edit it in notepad.

I use Win 7, 64 bit home premium.

I am considering formatting and reinstalling Win7, as I think there are some registry that has been messed up. I installed PC tools firewall for a couple of months ago and I removed the program as I found it quite annoying, since that time my pc is acting strange, thats why I think the registry has been messed up with this program.

Your hosts file should appear similar to the sample I gave, possibly with more entries like: -

127.0.0.1 fr.a2dfp.net
127.0.0.1 m.fr.a2dfp.net
127.0.0.1 ad.a8.net
127.0.0.1 asy.a8ww.net
127.0.0.1 abcstats.com
127.0.0.1 a.abv.bg
127.0.0.1 adserver.abv.bg
127.0.0.1 adv.abv.bg
127.0.0.1 bimg.abv.bg
127.0.0.1 ca.abv.bg
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 track.acclaimnetwork.com
127.0.0.1 accuserveadsystem.com
# and so on...

If your hosts not a text file editable by notepad, and now contains other references to programs you have on your laptop, then possibly some malware has overwritten some of your files.

If so, possibly the best course would be a clean reinstall.

I managed to open the host file and this is what it contains:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

no Kaspersky TDSS didn't find any malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back