Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem starting exchange server when PDC is down!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFPR

MIS
May 9, 2003
PR
Hello to all.

Quick background: I am using 3 servers. 2 Domain Controllers (PDCMAIN and PDCBACKUP) with Active Directory and 1 non-AD for Exchange 2000. All servers run WIN 2000 Server with SP4. DNS runs on both PDCMAIN and PDCBACKUP. DCHP run on PDCMAIN.

The Problem. Sometimes the PDCMAIN goes down (thats another thread for Dell..) and exchange can't restart from DCRBACKUP. We have about 5 different application servers which are working on the same scenario well (restarting from the PDCBACKUP).

The problem is that when PDCMAIN is down, some of Exchange Services won't start or hang. They are Information Store followed by MTA Stacks. Also, we use X400 only. No pop3 nor IMAP.

Any configurations issues / suggestions / to-do's within exchange? I am definetely not familiar with it.

Thanks

MW

Check on your event viewer and identify the erorrs encountered by these services.

Exchange requires at least one DC, which is by default set to the PDC emulator to be up in order to start.

If you open Exchange System Manager, and (assuming you're using the "Display Administrative Groups" view) go to Recipients, then Recipient Update Services, then right-click on each object in the right-hand pane and select Properties, you'll see where the setting for this is.

Since your PDCMAIN box causes you bother, just switch the server here to your PDCBACKUP and you *should* be fine, although I'll add as a disclaimer that I've never actually had to do this myself, so don't really know if there'll be any knock-on effects.

Set both your DC's as GC's as well. Exchange has to contact a GC to work.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

you COULD promote the Exchange server and set it to be a GC itself. Might cut down on some of the GC traffic going from Exchange to DC for address resolution of the GAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back