Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem setting user-defined hds/cyl on K7S5A-PRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarpedon

Programmer
Jun 9, 2002
US
Recently I had experience with a couple of ECS K7S5A-pro motherboards bought a few months apart, as part of a $79 2400+ Athlon XP bundle deal at Fry's.

One of the upgrades would've gone much more smoothly except that when I went to enter User Define heads/cylinders info the heads/cylinders/etc. settings would turn to zeroes as expected on that line yet I couldn't figure out how to move the cursor to the zeroes, it would tab over the zeroes to the LBA etc. settings to the right of the zeroes on that line and would let me change them. So near and yet so far. I checked the other motherboard and the behavior was the same.

Many years ago I recall having a similar problem, which was resolved by finding out that I needed to get to those zeroes by doing something special on the keyboard (yes I tried the arrow keys, page up/dn, + / -, tab, home, end,
etc.).

Does anyone have this motherboard and can set the user-defined heads/cylinders without problem (as in typing them in rather than hitting enter and letting it auto-fill them in by itself)?

I would have liked to have typed them in because the drive was coming from a motherboard that had been using heads/cylinders different than the ones the K7S5A-pro wanted to automatically select, and so the drive couldn't just be moved over and boot up XP Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back