Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem setting DSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

coachj

Programmer
Jan 16, 2003
US
Help - I'm getting SQL Server error 18452
Login failed for user...Not associated with a trusted
SQL Server connection.
Trying to set this DSN and connect to SQL Server db.

What version of SQL Server and what settings have you got on your DSN

I'm using Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition.
It's a System DSN, I've tried Windows NT authentication,
and SQL Server authentication, and used remaining default
settings.

Try connecting using named pipes instead of TCP if you're not already

MaffewW,

The network library (named pipes or TCP/IP) isn't the issue. The client is talking to the server.

flatter1,

Are you getting the error when setting up the DSN or when trying to connect in an application using the DSN? Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:
If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874.

Check the user account you are testing has an account in the database. Try using SQL Query analyser first.
When you get the user and passord, select sql server authentication and test the login and password. Check if you can access, then try seting DSN

anil

Went into SQL Query Analyzer - attempted to connect to local server I can successfully connect using Windows authentication when I attempt connect using SQL Server authtentication unable to connect - getting 18452 error "Login failed for user 'user1' Not associated with trusted SQL Server connection" I know set 'user1' with an account yet unable to connect

It sounds like your server is set to use Windows Authentication only rather than mixed mode.
If you want to use SQL authentication you need to change your server to mixed mode. You can do this from EM (right-click server -> properties). --James

Go into server - properties - security - authentication set to sql server and windows hit ok..no change still get same error...go back to server - properties notice change didn't take place windows authentication is selected - why won't change I made stay selected?

I think you need to restart the SQL service for the change to take affect - I may be way off target with that though. Can anyone confirm? --James

James, I cant be 100% but I think I've seen that before as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back