Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem sending mail between exchange servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattl72

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
I recently installed an additional Exchange server in our existing organization. I used move mailbox command in ADUC to move a test mailbox from the existing server to the new server. Now I am unable to send email between the two mailboxes (ie Juser on Exchange1 cannot send to Jsmith on Exchange2). It just sits in the sending servers remote delivery SMTP queue. I have turned on message tracking on the sending server and it seems to get stuck on the categorizer. Here's the details:

SMTP: Store driver submitted from store
SMTP: Message submitted for advanced queueing
SMPT: Started message submission to advanced queue
SMTP: Message submitted to categorizer

One interesting thing I noticed about the configuration is that the SMTP connector is configured to use a Smarthost, which is a Solaris box running Sendmail for outgoing mail. I'm not very familiar with Sendmail so I'm wondering if this could be part of the problem? Perhaps exchange is trying to use sendmail to send internal mail??

I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Matt L

Between 2 servers in the same organisation, you should not use SMTP, so that is where the problem is.
You could, but Smarthost will rely on the DNS from the host, the Solaris in your case, so it will never get to the other server.

Check the Event lg for eventual errors.
Also check:

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Ehm, I'm hardly an expert at this stuff, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but...

I just ran into this problem yesterday. I just brought up a 2nd exchange server in our org, and moved half of the users onto the new server. After the move, users on one server couldn't email users on the other server -- the message would just sit in a remote delivery queue or come back with the NDR "The message bounced between two servers..."

I solved the problem by looking at my recipient policy in the organization under Exchange System Manager. I made sure our domain was listed in there (i.e. mydomain.com) and set to primary -- then I added two more entries for exch01.mydomain.com and exch02.mydomain.com and made sure everything was checked... after that everything worked great.

I don't know enough to say why I did what I did -- I just know enough to be dangerous, but it worked for me :)

Good luck,

Dave

You may also want to brows through this:
[ln];ech

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back