Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem seeing silo on qlogic HBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

vesposito

MIS
May 20, 2005
US
I am attempting to configure a silo on a V880 running solaris 9 using a dual port 2gb Qlogic HBA. Since I am using Legato, the simplest reccomendation is to use Qlogic's 4.13 driver since legato has issues with seeing the robotic control correctly with the current 4.18 driver.

The silo I am using is a Spectralogic 20K with 4x AIT-3 tape drives. The robotic control and all four drives are connected via a single fibre.

The behavior I am seeing is this-
When I use the 4.18 version of the QLA2300 driver, I can see the arm and all tape drives at athe OS level. In this case Legato's inquire command shows garbage entries for the robot arm as expected. (this is why I want to downgrade to the 4.13 driver)

When I remove the 4.18 and install 4.13, I get somewhat different behavior-
The SANsurfer GUI only shows LUN0 (robotic control) and will not show the tape drives. I cannot get the system to to recognize the tape drives at the OS level- devfsadm does not create the expected entries in /dev/rmt.
Oddly enough, legato's inquire is able to see the arm and all four drives, however, since the OS is unable to see the tape drives, I am dead in the water when I attempt to run jbconfig to actually configure the library in legato.

So, at this point, I have a driver (4.18) that sees all the devices correctly at the OS level, however legato has a known issue with this version (and all dynamic reconfigure HBA drivers for that matter!). I also have a driver (4.13) where legato claims to see all devices correctly, however I am only able to see the arm at the OS level.

The one suggestion I have not yet tried is using the 4.18 driver and disabling the dynamic reconfiguration capability- which basically defeats the purpose of using 4.18 (easier to configure without rebooting).

I need to have this one figured out since the environment I'm working in requires us to configure and reconfigure systems constantly, and I do not have the luxury of being able to go through signifigant development time every time I need to set up a silo.

Any ideas?

Vincent Esposito

Have you added appropriate entries to /kernel/drv/st.conf for the devices? Perhaps that is required for the non-dynamic driver?

Annihilannic.

I have actually tried that, and it did not appear to work. When I use the newer dynamic reconfigure driver I am seeing the devices as target 0, lun 0 (arm), and luns 1-4 (drives), so when I switched back to the 4.13 driver I added entries for up to lun 6 on target 0 (more than I should need) and there was no change.

I did not actually put the entries for the drive sense keys in st.conf (AIT-3 aka SDX-700C), although I do not think that will make much difference either.

------------------------
Annihilannic (MIS) 15 Feb 06 9:04
Have you added appropriate entries to /kernel/drv/st.conf for the devices? Perhaps that is required for the non-dynamic driver?
Annihilannic.
------------------------

Vincent Esposito

vesposito said:
The one suggestion I have not yet tried is using the 4.18 driver and disabling the dynamic reconfiguration capability- which basically defeats the purpose of using 4.18 (easier to configure without rebooting).

I'd say that's worth a try anyway.

Another possibility would be to try parent="drivername" for the additional entries in st.conf.

Are there many options available to you in the drivername.conf file for the HBA?

Annihilannic.

I did the parent="qla2300" in st.conf.

I'm not certain how many options I have for the qla2300.conf file - but I'll definately have to do more research there and see if anything new comes up.

------------------------------------

I'd say that's worth a try anyway.

Another possibility would be to try parent="drivername" for the additional entries in st.conf.

Are there many options available to you in the drivername.conf file for the HBA?
Annihilannic.

------------------------------------

Vincent Esposito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back