Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem secondary ide channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlynch1

Technical User
Dec 20, 2001
IE

Ever since I flashed my bios to the newest version nothing gets picked up on the secondary IDE channel. I have tried different ide cables. Different humper settings. ie setting the hard disk I wasnt to get picked up as both master and slave on the secondary channel. Unknown device comes up in the bios and it says secondary hard drive 0, secondary hard drive 1 not detected. The reason I updated my bios was for support for a 250gb hard drive.

Did anyone ever have similar problems. Is it possible to run a diagnostics program or something to figure out whats up.

jlynch1
Reflash the bios to next preceeding file and partition the hard drive 2x 125GB.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

What OS? Did you look in BIOS setup and set it to use both channels? A BIOS flash will set many settings back to "default".

Im using both win xp and fedora core 2.

Ya I checked bios setup. I have both channels enabled in the bios. Havnt tried reflashing the bios to a lower version yet.

This is the bios version I upgraded to
The computer is a dell 8100.

Here are all the bios downloads that are applicable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back