Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem saving web pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonMarkDawson

Programmer
Oct 17, 2001
GB
Hi

I need to be able to save web pages created with PERL which contain images and several standard form objects / java code etc.

The pages theselves appear (and work) fine BUT whenever I try to save them (Using File, Save As and specifying Web Page Complete) I either get the page saved but without any images or my initial home page saved (See below) instead of what's displayed on screen.

For info:

I am using IE6 (Latest version)

The initial home page mentioned is also generated dynamically by the same CGI script that generated the page to be saved. My feelings are that rather than saving the page on screen, save must be re-submitting an empty request to the CGI script which then sends back the initial welcome page as it does for a new session.

Is there a way to stop this from happening so that people can save what's actually displayed on screen?

Interestingly, Firefox saves the required screens fine but I obviously need to cater for those using Explorer.

Thanks for any help.

Simon

Simon, this looks like a browser issue, you may wish to try Forum608.

It could be a problem with your security policy on your machine at work. Is this an issue for machines outside of your network

Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Hi Paul. Will take a look at the browser forum as you suggested.

For info, the problem occurs on all computers tried, all with standard installations of Windows & IE (Deliberately so for testing purposes)

Thanks.

Simon

Are these machines on a domain within your workplace network, if so they could be governed by a security policy, try it at home

Regards
--Paul

Paul

No, all the machines are independent and all save non-dynamic sites normally. I'll re-submit the thread on the browser forum (Prob a better place for it anyway) and see if anyone there has come across this too.

Thanks again.

Simon

Are the links public, can you post them here?

Hi Paul

Unfortunately the sites themselves are confidential (Hence I can't post any of the actual pages here) but I've uploaded a quick test script to show what happens at

If anybody reading can please try out the script and report back here on what happens together with their browser type (and version) / Windows type (and version) at least we can find out how extensive the problem is.

Or maybe the problem is simply something I've overlooked - All feedback welcome as I'm definitely more frustrated than proud!

Thanks again for the replies.

Simon

XPprosp1, IE6sp1 File->Save As works like it should. I don't get a secondary prompt to specify Web Page Complete, but I do get a prompt warning the page may not save correctly.

XPProSP2 IE6SP2 - Seems OK, get the prompt warning may not save correctly

Firefox - AOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back