Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem running MySQL from command line (WinME)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvc

Programmer
Jun 12, 2002
US
Hi,

A while back I downloaded and installed PHPTriad and everything worked fine. First concentrated on developing php, no problems. Next I followed the MySQL / PHP tutorial "Building a Database-Driven Web Site Using PHP and MySQL" by Kevin Yank of SitePoint.com and all was well -- accessed mysqladmin to change my password, built the tables and php scripts, etc. fine.

Then I went off and did other things, now I'm comming back to MySQL.... and I can no longer run from a command line.

I can run MySql fine from PHP -- phpMyAdmin works great. However, I can no longer run mysqladmin.exe from a command line! --

Code:
C:\apache\htdocs>mysqladmin -p status
Enter password: ******
C:\APACHE\MYSQL\BIN\MYSQLA~1.EXE: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10050)'
Check that mysqld is running on localhost and that the port is 3306.
You can check this by doing 'telnet localhost 3306'

I know this worked before -- I changed the password using it: eg.

mysqladmin -u root password "new password"

Telnet localhost 3306 displays some garbage and then fails with a 'bad handshake'.

I've looked at c:\windows\my.ini to see if there is anything obvious there -- tried uncommenting the port=3306:

Code:
[WinMySQLAdmin]
Server=C:/APACHE/MYSQL/bin/mysqld-opt.exe
user=root
password=*****

[mysqld]
basedir=C:/APACHE/MYSQL
#bind-address=24.52.28.166
datadir=C:/APACHE/MYSQL/data
#language=C:/APACHE/MYSQL/share/your language directory
#slow query log#=
#tmpdir#=
port=3306
#set-variable=key_buffer=16M

WinMySQLAdmin runs and reports no errors, but also shows no useful information (never did):

All server fields are empty, MyODBC is not found, Start Checks all report ok, Err File seems fine (mysqld-opt.exe ready for connections.)

The Server, Variables, Processes and Databases tabs are all completely empty. However phpMyAdmin shows 4 databases and queries them must fine.

I have ZoneAlarm installed and I've set all the MySQL related programs to allow Local Connect & Server (and disallow all Internet, since I don't want any remote ability.) Apache is set to Allow Local Connect and Server and Internet Connect only. Telnet is set to allow all.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong here. It's obviously a Telnet - TCP/IP problem, but I have no clue beyond that.

Thanks,
davidvancamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back