Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem running dBASE V under XP Professional 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdsterling

Technical User
Mar 3, 2005
US
New poster here: I've read this board carefully back at least 20 pages, and I get the impression that newer versions of Windows don't like dBASE, specifically, dBASE for DOS. Well, we're even, because I don't care too much for Windows and having to get a new O/S every couple years.

I could not find anything in HELP about installing this file, so I did what I did when I started running under Windows 98, I just created a folder. This doesn't work under XP Pro. I get the message, "Invalid startup directory, please check your .pif file."

Can anyone give me pointers about how to get this working. If I cannot use it, I can do all the work on my old system. Its just disappointing to think that progress means getting rid of the tried and true. I've been using dBASE for 20 years with great satisfaction.

TIA for any assistance!

The problem is that XP doesn't know the path to dbase.exe. You'll need to modify the native path statement so that when winodws creates a DOS window, the path is included. I did it on my system by editing the system registry (do a search for "Path") but you may want to look at other ways of doing it.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

K - [medal] many thanks for the assist - now can anybody tell me why the display is so scrunched up and weird - I need big letters for my bifocals.

Any help you afford would be gratefully appreciated!!!

Here is my research on changing the XP's DOS (CLI) window's size in thread779-623690. With larger screen resolutions, Lucida Console, not Raster, is the way to go.

Since I often like to view more than just 25 lines (0-24) I often type the command in dBase SET DISPLAY TO VGA43 or SET DISPLAY TO VGA50 which gives me 43 or 50 screen display lines! SET DISPLAY TO VGA25 reverts back to the default.

To add the dBase directory's path to the XP system:
Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables button
Add the dBase directory to the existing list, probably better to add it to the end.
To add it at the beginning, insert: "C:\dBaseDir;" to Path
To add it at the end, append: ";C:\dBaseDir" to Path
(Replace C:\dBaseDir with the actual dBase directory path

Also, it's a good idea to increase the FILES value in C:\Windows\System32\CONFIG.NT from the default 40 to at least 80 or 100. In any case, do not put in a number higher than 225. Earlier versions of Windows would default to 30 files, quite limiting if your programs have multiple tables open at once. If you were running Windows Millennium and exceeded the limit it would give the error "Too many files open" and once that happened only a reboot would fix the Windows Me environment.

dbMark

I'm going to have to print this off and digest it [ponder]. Many thanks for all your help!

If you find some Windows programs are slow when you have an NT-environment DOS window running, this suggestion is from thread182-907896:

When you run your DOS applications, are you using Cmd.exe (black icon) or Command.com (colorful MSDOS icon)? Try using COMMAND.COM instead and it may resolve at least somewhat the issue. Move its property for Idle Sensitivity to the right.

Cmd.exe is essentially the Command Line Interface (CLI) for XP. Command.com is quite limited in the XP environment but may be of great help to run certain older DOS programs on systems using NT technology. Keep in mind that if you use COMMAND.COM then while inside that window you won't be able to use long files names but of course most DOS programs can't think beyond 8.3 anyway...Thread616-97060

Running DOS programs inside Cmd.exe can consume more of the system resources. Opening Windows applications may be slow when a DOS program is running due to how it polls the keyboard. (When I added Imail's Instant Messaging in my network, all 2000/XP systems immediately had glacially slowed keypresses in dBase DOS.) If not running a data-intensive long process which needs the maximum speed, try using Command.com and change its property for Idle Sensitivity to the right.

This is a limited workaround, of course. Another alternative is to purchase TameDOS.

dbMark

Check out the Program Compatability Setup Wizard.

Go Start-Programs-Accessories-Program Compatability Wizard

I don't know how well this works as I'm going to try it out myself, but this feature in XP allows you to run programs in previous versions of Windows OS.

hope this helps.

Another way to modify the Path besides tviman's suggestion on March 4th: In order to add or modify the computer's paths (such as to your dBase system directory) on an XP computer, go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced Tab, Environment Variables button, System Variables list, select Path and edit it. Each path in the list is separated by a semicolon. Don't add too many paths. If your dBase application needs a certain path, within dBase simply use this pattern:

SET DIRECTORY TO C:\myWorkDir

dbMark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back