Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem:quotas disabled (greyed out) windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

personmann

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2006
US
I just restored our file server from back up after upgrading disks. Everything went ok but on my first attempt to restore i got an error from Backup Exec about disk quotas, so the next time I did not select "restore quota info..." No problem.

Now when I try to enable quotas on that drive the quota tab is there, but greyed out. I looked at the relevant GPO and registry entries and disk quotas are enabled there. (not that I expected them to have changed)

So what the heck, any one have any ideas?
Thanks

Just a guess here, but are the new disks formatted with NTFS?

Yes the disks are NTFS, and I am logging in as a domain administrator.

I found a script to activate quotas that supposedly works for server 2003 but it fails for windows 2000. I am really stuck here this doesnt seem to be a common problem.

Ok solved my own problem:

I changed a group policy for this server:
computer configuration/administrative templates/system/Group policy/Disk quota policy processing

enabled it, and selected "Process even if the Group Policy objects have not changed"

I think this just reapplied group policy for quotas automatically. So manually reapplying policy might have worked too.

Interestingly while quotas are now active, the quota tab page for the drive is still greyed out (can't be edited). I assume another policy in play, but I'm not sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back