Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem "could not reserve enough space for object heap"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteG

Programmer
Feb 23, 2001
GB
Hi,
I am trying to increase the memory allocated to my java app. VM parameter is currently -mx1536m and I want to increase it to -mx2048m (we utilise a lot of caching hence the largeish memory requirement) but I get the above error when I try to start my app. I have since read about limitations in memory that can be allocated to single processes on a Windows Advanced Server 2000 machine - the limit appears to be around 2Gb so fair enough :-(
However, there also appears to be a way to utilise more memory, at the expense of memory allocated to the operating system, by using Application Memory Tuning (4GT). Has anybody used this before? If so, what are your experiences in temrs of actually getting the thing to work and any ongoing memory usage issues? Thanks.

You didn't say how much total memory your machine has, but remember you have to share the available memory with the OS, DLL's, etc. so you will not be able to allocate all the machines memory to the JVM.

This thread may be of help.

Rich

Excellent links guys, thanks - though they confirm that I have a problem. Looks like I need to scale down the caching a tad... :) By the way, my machine has 4Gb RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back