Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem printing to network printer from IIS / website

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekrabnai

Technical User
Sep 28, 2000
GB
Hi All,
I have developed a small application in .NET but have trouble printing....however, here's the 'odd' bit.

Scenario 1
I use my local version of Internet Explorer to access my local version of the site (using localhost). When I click on the print button on my web page.... all good

Scenario 2
I publish the website to a web server then physically sit in front of the web server and login.
I use the servers version of Internet Explorer to access the newly published website. When I click on the print button on my web page.... all is still good.

Here comes the bad part.....

Scenario 3
I return to my desktop pc and I use my local version of Internet Explorer to access the newly published website. When I click on the print button on my web page.... NOTHING..

Have tried several other tests but in a nutshell when I use my local Internet Explorer, to access the published website, no network printers are available.

It appears to me to point towards a 'rights' issue between a web server account (possibly) and the printer queue/server???? and that is as far as I got .....

Please help, it's driving me mad!

Ian

Sometimes if you want to put a nail in a piece of wood, you just gotta hit it with a hammer!!

Are you using the print option from IEs menu, or your own custom print button? If it is your own button, you need to provide the code that is run when that button is pressed.

Hi, thanks for the response.

I should have definately added more info. my apologies.

Have finally managed to resolve the issue but will fill in the blanks as it may help others if they are all as 'slow' as me.

I am using a 'Print' button within the code itself and I needed just a portion of the display printed.

Thye solution seemed to have revolved around the web IIS account (IUSR_servername) not having rights to the networked printer as it was a local account. However, once I added a new port (IP) to the server and then added a printer and captured it to the newly created report, everything kicked in and the report came off the printer and put a big smile on the face of an old techie.

Once again, thanks for responding. Just typical that I work on the problem for ages and the within hours of posting the issue I get the result.

Sometimes if you want to put a nail in a piece of wood, you just gotta hit it with a hammer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back