Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem printing in color with Lexmark Z43

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vurk

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
I am using a Lexmark Z43(approx 1 yr old) on a WinXP Pro system. 1.3Ghz Duron, 256 MB's RAM.
My problem is that ever since the warranty ran out, every time I install a new color cartridge I get one or two sheets(not print jobs) of color and then everything prints in black and white, as if the color cartridge isnt there.
The black cartridge prints justs fine.
I have self-tested, print-tested, reloaded drivers from here to next Sunday(even the one for Win98, which didnt work). I have uninstalled the previous printer drivers, both through their respective programs and Add/Remove Programs, I have deleted the printer folder and the drivers folder. I have even uninstalled the LPT1 port and reinstalled it.
I have called Lexmark's India tech support and their American sales and service locater. I have scoured their website.
And now I am asking the people who actually might know something.
Any help is appreciated.

If you print the selftest page does it print in color? If not your printer may be toast.

All the time and effort you have put into getting this printer to work properly has been WASTED TIME!!!
Lexmark inkjet printers are SO Cheap to buy that by the time you have bought 2 cartridges you could have replaced the whole printer with a new one( which will obviously come with new cartridges anyway!!
Lexmark and epson inkjet printers are now a disposable item!!
The fact that it worked properly for a year is a minor miracle in itself.
BUY A NEW ONE!

Thanks for the replies...
1)I used original Lexmark brand cartridges.
2)The selftest page came in black and white. The colored windows logo did not print at all; even in black and white.

You may have a clog in the cartridge nozzles, which might be causing your print quality issue. Even new cartridges might have a slight clog - follow these instructions to see if they fix the issue for you:

Remove the cartridge(s) from the printer. Get a damp paper towel. You will want to treat each cartridge individually. Set the ink cartridge right side up on the damp paper towel so that the ink nozzles are touching and hold the cartridge in this position for about 15 seconds. Now wipe the print head (on the bottom where the ink comes out) across in one direction only (left to right) to 'clean' the bottom of the cartridge. Repeat this step 3-4 times using a fresh area of the paper towel. Next dab the cartridge on the towel to make sure that the ink is flowing. Turn the cartridge over so that you can see the bar code sticker on the back. While using a clean pencil eraser, clean the contact points on the copper strip (only the little squares just below the bar code - do not use the eraser on the print head or you could damage the cartridge). Now while using a clean part of your dry paper towel, wipe the eraser dust off the contacts, ensure that they are dry, and snap the cartridge back into the printer. Then go to your Start menu, then Programs, then Lexmark, then to the Control Program (or equivalent) and find your Cartridges tab at the top of the next window. There should then be a button available for 'Clean Print Nozzles'. Run this test a minimum of 3 times. There should be a noticeable difference.

Another thing...if these are genuine Lexmark cartridges and they stop working within 90 days of purchase call their Tech Support #. They should be able to replace the defective cartridge for you.

Hope this all helps.

Sixstrings,
I have already done that while talking to tech support. No luck.
Tech support wont replace the cartridge unless I mail the one I have to Kentucky.
I am hoping to resolve this while I still have the cartidge here so I can test solutions.
Plus, just putting in a new catridge doesnt sem to help, because I have the same problem with brand new catridges.
In fact, that *is* the problem.
If it were a low ink problem, I could deal with that. But when the catridge stops printing color after only one page, of normal, not high, usage, thats the problem I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back