Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem: PCAnywhere, ICS and multiple hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello, I have a small network (8 machines), and it is connected to the internet via 1 machine that contains 2 NICs with Internet Connection Sharing installed. All machines are Win98 SE. When I Install PCAnywhere onto the Internet "connected" machine, it works fine (after making the DWORD modifications to the registry). I normally view my office computer from home, using the remote control host list (i.e. 12.34.56.255). Surprisingly, when I installed a NIC in a second machine on the same network, and used ICS there, installed PCAnywhere, both hosts now disappear, and are inaccessible from my home machine. when I unload the second host, the first host re-appears and is accessible. Any idea why this is happening and how I can correct it so I can dial into either machine? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Rick

Hmm let me point you to a more robust program. Also, I am not a big user of PC Anywhere so I wont begin to assist n this, however the program I am pointing you to is the reason I do not use PC Anywhere hehe.

This tool will provide hours of entertainment x-)
The Geek

Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop their own tree.

Are you saying that you have one connection to the Internet but you have a second machine running ICS behind the first machine that actually sits on the Internet connection? If so, I would expect headaches like no tomorrow.

ICS is a nice and neat sharing feature of Windows, providing you use nothing else. In this case, I strongly recommend using DSL/Cable Linksys Router. This will allow one connection coming into the router (ie cable/dsl) then the routher's internal NAT (network addressing translation) will allow access to the Internet to your other connected PCs via DHCP or assigned IP address. Of course, then you have the issue of setting up your PCAnywhere to route through your new firewall (Linksys)...but that is a matter of setting up IP forwarding to 5631 - 5631. CAUTION - when using Linksys, you must disable all network/tcp/ip sharing programs!

Lastly, each time you install a new NIC card, expect to get address descrepencies! If you must keep the card in, disable the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back