Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem opening Mail Merged documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCop

Programmer
Jan 11, 2002
GB
I have a system for mail merging documents monthly to 200 people The data comes from Excel and the document from Word. Some of the recipients are having problems opening the documents, getting the message :
"Word experienced an error trying to open this file. Try these sugesstions:
a.. Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
b.. Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.
c.. Open the file with text recovery converter."

The document was created using Office XP and is merged and sent using Office 2000. Around 15 of the recipients are experiencing the problem - usually the same ones each month although odd others have cropped up recently. Looks as if most receipients have Offixe 2003 but there is a mix of those with and without Windows SP2.

Those who cannot open the merged document sent using Office 2000 are OK if I re-send using Office XP - there are logistical reasons why XP cannot be used all the time.

OK so the answer probably is to upgrade the sending software fo Occie 2003 and hopefully this will happen later this year. In the meantime though has anone any idea why this might be happening - I don't want to simply let the problem go away without understanding in case there is another issue here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back