Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem opening attachment with .tmp extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

burtg

Technical User
Dec 8, 2002
US
A friend sends email with .tmp attachments. She is not computer literate, and nearly all of the emails she sends are items she receives and forwards. I've tried several file associations. MS Word will open the .tmp attachments but only notes the name of any included graphics files (usually .jpg files) and does not permit opening of the .jpg file. Text in the .tmp file opens OK, but there is attitional code listed in the opened .tmp file. It appears that she is sending it in HTML or rich text format and I must be receiving it in simple text format. This occurs on my P4 Win2K with Outlook 2002 and on my P3 Win98 with Outlook Express 6. How do I change my settings to open these files and their .jpg attachments? Or should I tell her to alter her settings to send in a different format?

there is no easy way to tell what a .tmp file will be.
If you only have problem when she sends something, then the problem is on her side. Have her send an JPG or whatever as plain text to see if it works. If not, she must have some coding problem. The solution is out there. [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back