Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem - Nothing can detect my mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaux

Technical User
Sep 16, 2001
US
I was messing with some port and IRQ settings in the CMOS and now nothing can detect my mouse. Windows (95) can't detect my mouse. I tried reinstalling Win95 but it didn't fix it. (I wasn't even able to use the mouse in the Win95 setup program.) If I boot up a Windows ME startup disk and try to load a mouse driver, it can't detect it.
I have put all the settings in the CMOS back to how they were. (In fact, I have even tried flashing the BIOS.) And still, nothing. The settings in my CMOS say the mouse is installed, but no program can use it.

Some help please?

The computer is an IBM 350

Something I forgot to mention: At the same time that the mouse stopped working, in my windows device manager, COM3 (my modem) got a resource conflict (both port and IRQ) with COM1. This conflict was not there before.

usually, the quick way to fix that is to reset all the settings in the bios.. ie: load failsafe defaults, load optimized defaults, load factory defaults...

Anything like that usually takes care of bios related resource probs...

If it persists.. unistall all of your ports and hand feed the system's ass back to it. then reset all your devices.. (mouse and modem) to a com or lpt port.

If all else fails.. you can still use the case to sight in a rifle, the chips for skeet-shooting, and the optical drives as doorstops... right?

Hope it helps...
~CaNiX~

Those who seek me, must first seek the storm and the wolf who lerks within it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back