Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Networking Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngordon

Technical User
Jun 29, 2002
US
Greetings all,

Here's my problem...

I've built a small Access database that I placed on my server. I have one workstation connected to the database.

The folder that the database is in on the server is shared and I've mapped the path to the database on the workstation.

The advanced tab of the database options are set to:

Default open mode - Exclusive
Default record locking - Edited record
Open databases using record-level locking is checked

When I enter records into the database from the workstation, they do not appear on the server. To be able to see the newly added record on the server I have to close the database then re-open it to see the new record. The same problem exists if I attempt to add a new record on the server after one has been added to via the workstation, I can't save the new record.

I'm a little confused as to why this is happening. Should I not use the database on the server to view and edit records? Is there some additional step I need to take in order to network the database properly?

I would appreciate any suggestions, because from what I know about Access the setup I'm using should work.

Thanks,

John

Perhaps you may replace this:
Default open mode - Exclusive
with this ?
Default open mode - Shared

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Have you tried:

Enable DDE Refresh

OLE/DDE Timeout(sec): 30
Refresh interval(sec): 60
Number of update retries: 2
ODBC refresh interval(sec): 1500
Update retry interval(msec): 250

Default Open Mode - Shared

Default Record Locking - No Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search