Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem moving system databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

blombardi

MIS
May 21, 2003
US
I am having trouble moving my system databases in SQL Server 2005. I am following Microsoft’s instructions:

and I'm still having problems. I've successfully changed the path of the master database, moved the files and restarted the server in single user move (NET START MSSQLSERVER /f /T3608). The problem that I’m having is the next step is to alter the location of the mssqlsystemresource database either using sqlcmd commands or SQL Server Management Studio, but when I try to connect to either application it tells me that it is in single user mode and can accept only one connection at a time. Can someone help me please? Thanks

At work we use a script to do all this for us so I haven't done it manually for a while. But I do know that our script falls apart if any of the other SQL-related services are still running. So make sure you stop the SQL Server Agent and any other SQL services that might be running (e.g. Full Text Search, ReportServer). They might prevent you moving the files, or they might hog the only available connection in single user mode.

Also make sure to stop your monitoring software, as it probably logs into the database with sysadmin rights to make sure that everything is up correctly.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2008 Implementation and Maintenance / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Admin (SQL 2005/2008) / Database Dev (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back