Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem: MEMO field contains #Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug0211

MIS
Apr 1, 2000
CA
Problem: Memo field contains #Error<br><br>Problem Description:<br>I have a master table with a data type: memo.&nbsp;&nbsp;There are approximately 50,000 entries in this master table. I get an error every 4-5 months associated with this memo field.&nbsp;&nbsp;The memo field contents: #Error.<br><br>The error is noticeable and appears during a monthly process whereby every record has to be accessed and processed in the table.&nbsp;&nbsp;When the offending recording is accessed with #Error in the memo field, the following error is displayed:<br><br>Error: The Microsoft jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.<br><br>It's annoying but not difficult procedure to find the record with #Error in the memo field.&nbsp;&nbsp;But once it is found and the above message is displayed whenever the record is accessed.&nbsp;&nbsp;To resolve the error, the table has to be opened, the currsor positioned to the line of the error record, the record is deleted and re-entered with the same data again.&nbsp;&nbsp;The monthly process can now be continued.<br><br>The jet database engine message is erroneous since there is only one user accessing the data during the monthly process and this is the only process whereby every record is read.<br><br>The problem is always resolved by deleting and re-entering the data.<br><br>Question: Has anyone ever noticed a problem using memo fields with subsequent '#Error' contents?&nbsp;&nbsp;How can these #Errors be prevented from cropping up and appearing in the memo field?<br><br>Doug<br><br>

Yes, we dealt with this many times before, and there was no solution other than to delete it and re-enter the data (be sure to print out the data before you delete it). We tried several different things, none of which worked. I have no idea why there would occasionally be a record with an error, but it was very frustrating after a while. I wish I knew why it was caused, and a solution, but I don't, sorry.<br><br> <p>Jim Lunde<br><a href=mailto:compugeeks@hotmail.com>compugeeks@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= Application Development

I have also got this annoying problem occuring. Any time it occurs I run a make table query to select all the fields in the table except for the memo field, for the records affected. I then delete the records affected in the original table and run an append query to append the data from the table just created back in again. I also make a copy of the table before running the monthly routines, and copy what was in the memo field back in again, after the error is fixed. But I also don't know how to stop this #error from occuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back