Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem logging in to ftp site

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmz21

Programmer
May 5, 2005
US
Hello,
I am getting a page not found error when trying to access an ftp site using internet explorer. I can access the site just fine using the ftp command from the command prompt.

Anyone have any idea why this might be happening? Other users can access the site just fine using internet explorer.

BTW - using window xp pro with IE 6.

Thanks

Try this:
Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced Tab

Under Browsing:
Check the box for "Use Passive FTP"

Close Internet Explorer, open it back up & try again.

Did this help?

X

Already tried that....can't figure it out

I'm going to try using firefox - see if it makes a difference.

I have been able to use mozilla along with the FireFTP addin to get the ftp working, but still cannot get anything working with IE.

Strange......

Yes it is... maybe you should continue to use Firefox. That is until IE7 is publically available. :)

Personally i find Firefox with the FireFTP add on, alot BETTER option than using IE as you have,
Host, Login, password all in front of you and the split screen showing the remote site and your pc, which is more like proper/professional ftp software.
So i would just continue using Firefox (If it ain't broke...)

yeah...I now like using firefox as well. I did find, however, that uninstalling and reinstalling IE did the trick.

Still no idea what exactly happened, but it's working now.

Thanks for any help.

cmz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back