Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Loggin in Domain/Workgroup - Help!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

memarkiam

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
GB
I was trying to set up a peer-to-peer to share files at home last night, and changed my Network Indentity from a domain to a Workgroup (which is what Help said I needed to do).

This didn't help me to share the files, but has completely messed up my laptop by creating a new user and locking me out of my existing account.

It now says I don't have the privelages to change back to domain!

How can I log in as my previous user account (it was the same name/password. I tried adding the domain to the user name (user.domain) but that didn't help.

Also, the Administrator password I was given doesn't work now!!!

What can I do!! I'm desperate to get back in to my data/settings/privelages.

Any help would be VERY appreciated!!

Many thanks,
Mark

try to delete your computername from the domain.
or try deleting your lan network startup again and make en new connection Kurtie

Mark,

What OS are you using? Are you now trying to logon to the domain again at work?

Thank you both for your replies.

I'm using Win2k Proffesional.

No, I don't need to log back into the office network (I've left that company - bought the laptop), its just my user on that domain (locally on my laptop) has all my files/configurations/authorities, which I relly need to get back to.

Kurtie - can you confirm where I could access the domain to edit it?

What I find really weird is that by swtiching to a Workgroup identity, I have lost my Admin authority, and now can't switch back to my domain identity.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for the replies.

Mark

It really looks like you are stuck without that local admin password.

There is one thing you could hope for. If that drive is formatted fat then you could boot to a 98 floppy and access those files.

This one has gotten me twice. Both times I had to reinstall the OS. This is what W2K and NTFS is all about, security.

You must be a member of the local administrator group to join a domain, and it looks like the only account that will allow you access to your files is the local admin account.

do you now have administrator rights on your current profile?

Well, It looks like I'm done for! The new user that was created for me (why? should have been same user, different config...) doesn't have Admin rights.

Isn't there a way to log back in as my other user? It should still be there I presume, I just don't how to access it.

I suppose if I re-install the OS I'll loose all my user accounts/data?

My only thought is whether there would be a default admin password that has yet to be changed for this Workgroup config?

Any thoughts on what this might be?

Thanks for everyones input!!

Mark

Try a blank password. If all else fails ask the IT department if they will either give you the local password or give you administrative priviledges.Usually the local machine password is different from the domain, so they might be willing to do so.

if you can backup the profile you want under documents and settings... you should do this... so that when you try to re-install everything (knowing that you also have all the softwares needed) you should be ok...

the important part is to save or backup the profile under documents and settings....

There is a difference in a domain logon and a local logon.

Since you have changed your laptop to a workgroup then you cannot logon to the domain without rejoining the domain.

A domain username and password lives on the domain controller. A local username and password lives on your laptop.

If you want to log back in as "your other user" then you will have to determine if the "other user" is local or domain. If local then, of course, all you need to do is supply the correct password. If domain then no, not until you are joined to that domain.

My 'Other user' is definatley a domain user.

When you say 'joined to that domain' I take it you mean physically connected to (or dialled into) that domain's server?

If I can set this up, will my laptop detect that I am connected to this domain, and accept my domain user/password?

If so, this may be a way out for me.

If I can clarify one more point. If I do re-install the OS, will I loose everything on the machine? - particularly software installations. Backing up data is easy enough, but I don't have access to all the cd's for all the software I have (they were paid for, honest...I just don't have most of them to hand right now...)

I'll try and backup all the 'my documents' stuff. Should I also backup my Outlook mail data (I have 1GB of mail!)?

Once again, many, many thanks for all the help! I'll try not to ask anymore after this, but all the feedback is very appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

When you say 'joined to that domain' I take it you mean physically connected to (or dialled into) that domain's server?

If I can set this up, will my laptop detect that I am connected to this domain, and accept my domain user/password?

Yes, to the first question. No, to the second. Since you have changed to workgroup, you will have to rejoin the domain, which means you will have to supply an account with rights to join. If you can get your former IT dept to help out you should be all right.
Before you do a clean install, I'd try reinstalling over the current OS, though it may not work without admin rights.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Thanks for this. I'm away for 2 weeks now. I'll try on my return.

Cheers!
Mark

Sorry but I did the same thing, just that I cannnot even log in. If my username is non responsive with the proper password what can I do to get into the computer and get into my settings. If my account is gone is the local admin account also gone? Please write soon. This is an emergency

The local admin acct should still be there. Do you know the password? Or try a blank password... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I have a set of disks- similar to the old NT 4 ones but there is now a set that works for 2K, that allows you to boot from them run a utility and change the admin password, its not widely known this is possible.

Can I get a copy of those disks? Can you zip and Email them, or are they on CD? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I did it too! Does anyone have an idea what the name of the local admin account is?

LOcal machine administrator name is by default "administrator".

I wonder if you set up a different network, join that domain with admin privilages, would you be able to get to those documents?

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back