Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem linking dbf files in 2000 and newer, but works in 97?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chucklez

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
US
Ok, I have never seen this before, so hopefully someone can help me resolve it.

We have a production tracking system here at work that uses dbf and ndx files (database and index respectively). When I link the files in Access '97, it works, no problem. But in 2000 and above, I get a "The Microsoft Jet Database Engine cannot open the file <filename>. It is already opened exclusively by another user.".

Anyone seen this? Any tips? I been trying to google it all day, and nothing. I tried creating the DB in 97, then opening in 2000, 2003, or 2007 and converting, but that breaks the links. Most of the machines we need to run this on utilize Office 2003, none use 97. So I cant just leave it in 97.

A couple ideas (I don't know)...

The later versions of Access may be using an updated ODBC driver that doesn't play nice with the version of files your tracking system is in. You might have luck finding an older ODBC driver version and using it with the newer versions.

Access 2000 has more 'security features' so it may be having an issue with the file locking... does the user using Access have change permissions to the linked file? A quick and dirty test would be to copy the database local, link Access to it and see if it works.

Oops.... Dbase is natively supported so it looks like 2003 supports versions 2 and 3....

I also found this...

"How to use dbase data with Access and Jet"

This to me suggests it is a version compatibility issue... maybe because of a licensing issue since MS is pointing to another vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back